editor's choice

Culture and social etiquette in Luxembourg

Museums in Luxembourg

Banking in Luxembourg

Crime and the legal system in Luxembourg

User’s Guide: Getting around

Expatica countries
Index Last Var.(%)
BEL 20 3083.51 0.32
DAX 9605.08 0.17
IBEX 30 10058.5 -1.04
CAC 40 4387.61 -0.20
FTSE 100 6806.86 -0.05
AEX 397.5 -0.20
DJIA 16272.65 0.46
Nasdaq 4318.933 0.63
FTSE MIB 20298.33 -0.11
TSX Composite 14214.35 0.18
ASX 5415.4 -0.10
Hang seng 22836.96 0.04
Straits Times 3110.78 0.45
ISEQ 20 836.3 0.23
EUR / USD 1.37976 0.67
EUR / GBP 0.82571 0.59
USD / GBP 0.598544 -0.10
Gold 1329.6 -0.13
Oil 108.9 -0.76
Silver 21.28 0.08
You are here: Home Ask the Expert Expert details Ask the Expert - Expert details
Mindful Mimi
Name: Mindful Mimi
Expert in: Expat Aunt & Uncle
Company: Not disclosed
Title: Expat Aunt
Personal Info: Mindful Mimi was born in Luxembourg but, as the daughter of Dutch expats, considers herself an expat more than a local. She is a working mother of two boys who are the continuous source of her creative approach to life. Mimi is also a writer, artist, blogger, photographer, initiator of Creative Workshops that bring creativity and innovation back to the workplace, and has started a project to bring the corporate world closer to charity.
Ask Mindful Mimi a question:

characters remaining

Latest questions answered by Mindful Mimi:

Dear Mindful Mimi,

I'll be starting a year-long contract at the European Court of Justice from the 1st July. I'd like to know which areas I should be looking in for a 1-bedroom apartment. I also want to avoid agency fees if possible - do you have any advice?


Read Answer by Oran on 18/05/2010

Dear Mindful Mimi,

I want to find friends who aren’t mothers and who like to travel and laugh. I would also like to find some locals who will speak French with me. I sometimes feel everyone here speaks to me because they want to practise their English with me instead of having a proper conversation with me. Please advise me!

[posted on behalf of] Claire

Read Answer by EditorLU on 14/04/2010
View all answers by Mindful Mimi
Are you an expert as well

Become an Expatica Expert and gain access and exposure within a whole new network of potential clients. Apply today and tap into the international community!

Advertise with Expatica Apply to be an Expatica expert here
why become an expert
Become an Expatica Expert and gain access and exposure within a whole new network of potential clients. Apply today and tap into the international community.
Dear Ipek Akalin, I am a Brazilian/Luxembourgian citizen living in Brazil with my Brazilian husband. We decided to sell our company, apt, car, everything and move to Luxembourg for sake. The problem is that I have been dis-encouraged as I wont be able to rent a place as I don't have a job contract. Is that right? Our idea was living on our savings plus my husband's job contract with a huge industry in Brazil at the beginning. Is it impossible to rent without a job contract? Thank you.
Read Answer by Flavia
Dear Ipek,

I would like to get a PACS with my girlfriend from FYR Macedonia, is this something you can arrange for us?

Kind regards,

Read Answer by Tim

I am a non-EU citizen who applied for a work permit in Luxembourg. During the process I've married and my last name has changed. My temporary work permit will be granted according to my maiden name because dcuments that I used for application were on my maiden name.. What is the procedure for me to follow to change my name on work permit? What do I need to do to prevent any type of trouble while entering the country or getting my permanent work permit.

Thank in advance.

Read Answer by V.

I am EU citizen in a relationship with non-EU girl (Indonesian). She's a student here (bachelor) and she has a valid visa until 07/2015 - then she'll graduate. She is worried that her visa will not be renewed unless she finds a job before that date. Isn't there any period of time to look for a job after graduation?

My question is - if we will enter in PACS, will here visa be extended even if she won't find a job by then? What would be the requirements for us?

Thank you for your help,
Read Answer by Adam

I am Canadian. I will be relocating to Luxembourg to be with my husband ( a Belgian citizen and permanent resident of Luxembourg). I read that the process to get my carte de séjour is very easy. It looks like I only need to go to the commune with my marriage certificate and passport. Is that really all they need? That seems way to easy to me. Thank you!
Read Answer by anne
Inside Expatica
Visas, permits and citizenship in Luxembourg

Visas, permits and citizenship in Luxembourg

Since 2008, the work permit and the residence permit (for third country national workers) have been merged into a single permit, the Autorisation de séjour. Since 2009, dual or multiple citizenship has been permitted.

Buying or renting a house in Luxembourg

Buying or renting a house in Luxembourg

Whether you decide to buy or rent in the Grand Duchy, here is our short housing guide, including a look at some of the areas you might want to live in.

The healthcare system in Luxembourg

The healthcare system in Luxembourg

Whether it’s finding a doctor or figuring out how to fill your prescription, we give you the basics you need to stay healthy in Luxembourg.

Banking in Luxembourg

Banking in Luxembourg

Here is a list of some of the many banks based in Luxembourg.